Students are expected to be familiar with the information presented in this school catalog, in any supplements and addenda to the catalog, and with all school policies. By enrolling in SCAFA Dubai, students agree to accept and abide by the terms stated in this guideline and all school policies otherwise notified from time to time.
In the event of an emergency in which the school would be closed, students, faculty, and staff will be notified by email and text message.
General Refund Policy
Programme fees at SCAFA are generally non-refundable except in the following circumstances:
1. The programme is cancelled by SCAFA. In this situation, if the programme has already commenced the fee refund will be pro-rata to the amount of the programme remaining incomplete. The refund will take place within 45 days of the date of cancellation. SCAFA may retain up to 25% of the advance fee against administrative and other costs when making this refund.
2. Programme fees (as distinct from booking deposits) may be refunded where a student notifies the School, in writing at least one month prior to the course commencement date. Please note that course deferment does not constitute an extension of this notice period.
3. Refunds will only be paid to the person who made the initial payment for the programme, even when this is not the student themselves (e.g. a financial sponsor, parent, guardian etc).
For the purposes of clarity it should be noted that the following are not refundable events:
1. Booking fees and advances are not refundable under any circumstances.
2. Where a student cancels with less than one month to programme commencement, or if a student leave during a programme regardless of the reason for cancellation or leaving the programme.
3. Where a student is removed from a programme in accordance with the Termination policy outlined in the Student Induction Guideline, no refund will be made.
All students are expected to respect the rights of others and are held responsible for conforming to the laws of the Dubai and United Arab Emirates governments, and for conducting themselves in a manner consistent with the best interests of SCAFA Dubai and of the student body.
SCAFA Dubai reserves the right to dismiss a student for any of the following reasons:
- Failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress.
- Posing a danger to the health or welfare of students or other members of the SCAFA Dubai community.
- Failure to pay school fees and/or tuition by applicable deadlines.
- Failure to comply with the policies and procedures of SCAFA Dubai.
- Disruptive behavior.
- Persistent tardiness and a continuous absence of 4 days.
Class schedules will be notified to students. Schedules are subject to -variation. It is the student’s responsibility to be on time for all classes and related activities. SCAFA Dubai takes punctuality very seriously and regards this as an important component of the students training, progress and assessment.
As a matter of policy SCAFA Dubai prohibits the unlawful manufacture, possession, use, sale, dispensation, or distribution of controlled substances and the possession or use of alcohol by students and employees on its property and at any School activity. Any violation of these policies will result in appropriate disciplinary actions up to and including expulsion in the case of students and termination in the case of employees, even for a first offense. Violations of the law will also be referred to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.
Complaints and grievance operating procedures
The approach towards student complaints and grievances is to address problems promptly and without delay. Many problems can be resolved through discussion with the appropriate member of staff. The following policy is designed to ensure that a student’s complaint/grievance can be fully and fairly investigated and addressed.
The student will not be bound by any resolution unless the student agrees to accept it. Both the student and SCAFA agree to participate in the following grievance policy in good faith.
The three step approach to managing student’s complaints is as follows:
- Step 1 (to be initiated by the student within 10 days of the complaint arising) Grievances or complaints arising against a member of staff must first be discussed with the staff member. Grievances or complaints involving a policy or class should first be discussed with the individual enforcing the policy or the class instructor.
- Step 2 (to be initiated within 10 days of the student receiving a response from SCAFA) If the complaint/grievance is not resolved to the student’s satisfaction in step 1 the student may submit a written, dated and signed statement of the complaint/grievance and a description of the actions that have taken place thus far to the Dean of School, the next level of Authority.
- Step 3 (to be initiated within 10 days of the student receiving a response from SCAFA) If the matter is not resolved to the students satisfaction in Step 2, the student’s next step is to submit a written, dated and signed statement to the SCAFA CEO. Within 5 days of receipt of this statement from the student, the CEO will preliminarily meet with the student to discuss the grievance following which the CEO will conduct an investigation, including providing the student with a full and fair opportunity to present any evidence relevant to the matter. The CEO will render his/her decision, including an explanation behind the decision reached, in writing within 10 days after concluding the investigation. The CEO’s decision will be final.
If the student fails to follow these steps within the timeframes then the student will be deemed to have accepted the resolution last proposed by SCAFA.
Personal presentation and appearance
Students are required to arrive punctually at their classes properly attired in uniform which is shoes (black), uniform trousers, jackets and cap. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that their uniform is clean and smart. Other aspects of personal presentation:
- Hair must be groomed and out of the way.
- Beards must be trimmed and men are expected to be properly shaved.
- Rings and other items of jewelry are not permitted at all Students are evaluated on their daily personal presentation and appearance.
Statement of acceptance of personal liability
By signing the undersigned student understands and accepts the following:
- That working in a kitchen carries risks.
- The student is responsible for his/her own costs for any medical attention that he/she may require as the result of illness and/or injury that arises as a result of the programme of study atSCAFA Dubai.
- The student holds the SCAFA Dubai harmless in the event of any illness and/or injury that arises as a result of the programme of study at SCAFA Dubai.